YOU CAN ENJOY YOUR FAVOURITE FRUIT ALL YEAR ROUND
Picked, and packed at the peak of ripeness - with all the goodness preserved - the fruit is quickly cooked in the can, sterilized and sealed in a double layer of steel and a special inner coating. And no refrigeration.
Amazingly canned food retains all its nutrients for more than two years because the can is hermetically sealed and the food inside is cooked and stored in a vacuum. No juices are lost in the preparation and no preservatives have to be used.
Cans provide 100% protection from outside contaminants such as oxygen, water, and light. This effectively keeps impurities out and the goodness in.
Cans are endlessly recyclable without loss of strength or quality. Cans boast the highest recycling rate of all food packages in the U.S.A (64%), Steel recycling saves enough energy each year to electrically power almost 18 million households. Recycling minimizes energy use and CO2 emissions and decreases virgin material usage.
THE CANNING PROCESS
- The canning process is an efficient way of preserving food for long periods of time in almost any climatic condition
- Certain nutrients in fresh fruit and vegetables are lost if stored for long periods or if the produce is picked too early
- Canning therefore commences as soon as possible after harvesting
- Fruit and vegetables are harvested at optimal ripeness and handled with care during cleaning and grading to avoid damage
- The product is filled and seamed in the can under a vacuum to remove and minimize the amount of air present
- Heat is kept to a minimum - enough to cook and preserve the food
- The inside of cans are coated with food-grade lacquer to prevent the food coming into contact with the metal of the can and oxidization of the metal surface
- The liquid in the can may also contain nutrients that have leeched out of the vegetables and fruit and is safe to use
- Store cans in a cool, dry environment for a long shelf life
- Recycle all cans and save the environment
FRUIT CANNING PROCESS
VEGETABLE CANNING PROCESS